Embarrassingly, this was the first time I made an Indian dish. I love Indian food, I love to cook, but I guess I thought the cuisine was too hard to cook. Boy, was I wrong. Well, this version isn’t hard to cook; it’s far from authentic. But it is delicious! And simple! And vegan! It has made the main rotation in this house, especially since both of the kids said it was good. 🙂
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 inches fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbsp curry powder (hot or mild)
1 tsp cumin
¾ tsp salt
1 large tomato, diced
1 lb. bag of frozen chopped spinach
1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- Sauté the garlic and onions with the ginger in the oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the onions become translucent.
- Add the curry powder and cumin, stir, and sauté for a minute longer.
- Add the tomato and salt, cook until the tomato has broken down, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, spinach and a half cup of water. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite grain or substitute (brown or cauliflower rice are both great)