Huevos rancheros is a classic Mexican breakfast. Typically, it’s made of fried eggs served on corn tortillas topped with a tomato-chili sauce; re-fried beans and/or avocado are often served with it. And it used to be one of my favorite breakfasts. I stopped eating eggs but missed this dish until I found an excellent vegan alternative over at Vegetarian Times. Enjoy!
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced (1 cup)
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup diced extra-firm tofu (14 oz.)
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 1 15-oz. can Amy’s Organic Refried Beans with Green Chiles, warmed
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 tomatoes, diced (2 cups)
- 1 avocado, diced (1 cup)
- .25 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, chili powder, cumin, and oregano; Sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tofu, and lime juice; simmer 10 minutes.
- Spread beans on tortillas, and top with tofu mixture.
- Garnish with tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro.
Feel free to play with the recipe a bit; I usually omit the tomato sauce and fresh cilantro but add salsa.